Thursday, April 19, 2007

My friend Mary



My friend Mary worked her last day as a nurse today. She has retired after working diligently for over 11 years, the last two as the charge nurse during the day (she has a much "fancier" job title which escapes me, but I'm sure she'll let me know what it is so I can fix this) and pretty much kept all three shifts moving in the same direction. We have great continuity of care for our patients that depends on having the same nurses on duty every week. In report we pass on what we know about each of our residents -- how they're doing, any new orders, any bumps or bruises, changes in diet, family involvement, who's going to the hair dresser, who's going out for a doctor's appointment, who's feeling blue, etc. I could always count on Mary coming through for the patients, managing always to accomplish tasks that couldn't be done on my night shift. She was so patient with our residents and was unfailingly polite and kind-hearted to both them and to us, her coworkers. Our facility will be a poorer place for her going.

Mary is going to spend time with her sister, her children, grandchildren, and flying around the New England skies with her son in his plane. Hopefully she'll spare us a kind thought from time to time while she's so enjoying her new life.

I'm working tonight. Tomorrow morning will be an emptier one since I won't hear, "Hey, kid! Come on over here and give me a big hug!" The place just isn't going to be the same.

1 comment:

Flying Dee Dee said...

Thanks Chris for your kind words. We will always be connected, thank God for e-mail and our blogs. When things settle down, we will have to spend a day together, go for a walk or lunch or whatever we want to do.
You are a good friend and I am blessed to know you. Take care of the "little one" for me. 3 cats and a dog too!