Sunday, May 27, 2007

You never forget how to ride a bike. . .

My dear husband asked me what I'd like as a gift for my 60th (shudder!)birthday last week. I gave it some thought and replied I'd love to have a bicycle. I used to ride a bike constantly when I was younger (try at least 38 years ago) and always loved the feeling of freedom I had when zipping around on one. So, he took me to Goodales' Bike Shop in Nashua and sprang for a gorgeous mountain-type bike for me. They "fit" you for the bicycle and adjust the seat height, etc. I felt quite special! I even got to take a couple out for test rides. That was just a bit scary, considering I didn't want to make a complete idiot of myself by falling off in front of strangers. However, I managed to stay upright.

The next morning I took the bike out for a spin around the neighborhood. Within moments I knew exactly where my quadriceps were located. Feel the burn, baby! And it's true...you never forget how to ride a bicycle. I just forgot how to get off one. I came to a stop in front of my granddaughter Anna, and the bike began to list to port. I got my left leg out there, but couldn't move it fast enough and wham!--right over I went. I thought Anna was going to have a heart attack. I, for one, was quite relieved I didn't break my left hip. I got my very embarrassed self up off the driveway (praying all the while the neighbors across the street were still in bed) and limped upstairs. After an hour or so my left wrist was screaming with pain and Jack took me down to our local ER. After x-rays and exams it was determined I did NOT break my wrist, just sprained it badly. I did get a "stay-out-of-work for two days note from the doc and some pain meds to take away the considerable discomfort. I have since recovered almost completely and take the bike out every morning for a ride. I have dropped the seat a couple of inches so that I can catch myself when I stop, and I am terrifically safety-conscious. Can you imagine the ribbing I would take if I fall again?? Perish the thought!

The Mac is still in the shop. Photos of the fool on the bike to follow.

4 comments:

Lu Ann said...

Peddling your butt around town can be dangerous at our age.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!!! Bike? I got a new bike last year and it's been outside ever since. :(

Unknown said...

I definitely want to see pics! Hurry up, will ya?

Flying Dee Dee said...

That is a funny story. I like riding my bike too! Maybe we can meet at the river and ride around the area.
Mary