Friday, March 2, 2007

Another day in the Big City




On the spur of the moment, Anna and I decided to go to the JFK Library in Boston yesterday. Once again we hopped on the Boston Express and hopped off at South Station. This time we took the Red Line to JFK/UMass stop at Columbia Point where we got on a shuttle for the University and the Library. The Library is a striking piece of architecture right on the water, with great views in all directions. Once inside you travel through exhibits and films that depict Jack Kennedy's life and his short time in office. It brought back such memories. I was 16 when JFK was assassinated and I remember sitting with my Dad the day he was buried, watching the entire ceremony from beginning to end on our black and white TV. It was such a sad, sad day--it was all I could do to keep from crying and I could tell my father was having a tough time too. (We Hollands are strong and stoic, and we do not cry at funerals, sad movies, or other events where more normal people cry their eyes out. It's not easy, but that's the way it is.)

And Jackie--what a class act that woman was! Jack Kennedy certainly did not deserve her. There was an entire exhibit devoted to her, the things she did to preserve the White House, and the grace she brought to the role of First Lady. Who can forget Jack Kennedy's speech in France where he introduced himself as "the man who accompanied Jacqueline Kennedy to Paris."

Anna and I took a long walk along the waterfront after we left the Library. There is a paved and landscaped walkway that seems to go on for miles along Dorchester Bay, so it was a delightful finish to a perfectly fine day.
I wouldn't have missed this week for the world.

2 comments:

Flying Dee Dee said...

sounds like you had a great day. Life is too short to waste and it's nice to see that you are taking advantage of every moment.
I'll see you in a few days.

Unknown said...

I love Boston! It sounds like you both had a great time! We'll all have to go together, maybe when it's warmer! See you at work! By the way, how did you enjoy the treats that you bought in Chinatown?